
The White House clarified President Trump’s comment regarding 600,000 Chinese student visas, saying that they are not new visas.
Trump on Monday told reporters at the White House that the United States is prepared to accept as many as 600,000 Chinese students as part of his trade talks with Beijing.
“We’re going to allow, it’s very important, 600,000 students,” Trump said. “We’re going to get along with China. But it’s a different relationship that we have now with China.”
Trump previously commented that the U.S. would accept Chinese college students, but did not give a number regarding how many students would be accepted on visas. In 2024, more than 270,000 Chinese students were enrolled at U.S. universities.
A White House spokesperson told Fox News on Thursday, “President Trump isn’t proposing an increase in student visas for Chinese students. The 600k references two years’ worth of visas. It’s simply a continuation of existing policy.”